Ms. Tuleja Departs From MacDuffie to Pursue Other Opportunities in Higher Education

Edinam Ablordeppey, Editor

After 3 years of working at MacDuffie as Director of the Library and International Student Coordinator, Jennifer Tuleja will not be returning in the fall. Ms. Tuleja has decided to leave to explore opportunities in higher education in international student programs or within secondary education. Ms. Tuleja intends to continue working with students wherever her future takes her. 

Ms. Tuleja began working as an International Student Coordinator at the start of the 2020-2021 academic year, in addition to her previous position as a librarian. On top of managing the school’s physical and digital library, Ms. Tuleja assisted international students and families with the process of obtaining their visas.

Ms. Tuleja decided to leave to pursue leadership positions. As a woman, she wants to be a role model for young women showing them that it’s alright to take risks and pursue their full potential, no matter where it takes them.

“It’s a double-edged sword,” Ms. Tuleja remarked after making the difficult decision to leave. “The students are great, and I’m glad I got to witness their development into young adults. I’m proud to have seen them develop as people both inside and outside of the classroom. I’m delighted to take the plunge and discover new opportunities, yet I’m sad to say goodbye to students.”

After three years at MacDuffie, Ms. Tuleja has seen the library transform into a community hub and a safe haven for international students, where many go to her for advice. Ms. Tuleja graciously offers advice to anyone who will listen, from drafting essays to researching resources on the internet, and has also provided a listening ear to many students to vent about their day.

“I am disappointed that I will not be able to say goodbye to all students,” Ms. Tuleja said. “Some are abroad, and I’ll be gone by the time they return, and many are graduating this year.”

“MacDuffie has given me a place to grow as a leader, and I want to go out in the world to show what I have learned and expand my leadership skills,” says Ms. Tuleja when reflecting on her time here.

While at MacDuffie, Ms. Tuleja was active in many activities, her most prominent being the faculty advisor for MOSAIC. Ms. Tuleja is proud of all her students, especially after the difficult year they’ve all had and how far MOSAIC has progressed in its pursuit of social justice.

“I hope students learn to use their voices and make good trouble,” Ms. Tuleja added, alluding to the words of civil rights activist John Lewis, as she prepares to embark on a new chapter in her life.