Boys Varsity Basketball’s Nail-Biting Finale to Senior Night

A+MacDuffie+player+sends+a+potential+three-pointer+into+the+air.+Photo+provided+by+the+MacDuffie+School.+

A MacDuffie player sends a potential three-pointer into the air. Photo provided by the MacDuffie School.

Aaròn Laviada Lopez, Staff Writer

In a thrilling high school basketball game, the Macduffie School Mustangs took on Cushing Academy, with the Mustangs emerging victorious in a game filled with exciting plays and heart-pumping action. The match took place at The Macduffie School gymnasium in Granby, Massachusetts, where a raucous home crowd cheered on their beloved Mustangs.

The game started with a speech from Mr. Jacque Rivera, the Mustangs’ Athletic Director, dedicated to the seniors on the team, Xavier Laurion, Miquel Diez, and Alex Diez. The Mustangs won their last matchup against Cushing, and they looked determined to continue their winning ways. 

The game got off to a fast start, with both teams trading baskets in the opening minutes. However, the Mustangs started to take control of the game as the first half wore on, with the starting five of M. Diez and Laurion, alongside Gojco Stevkovski, Dylan Royal, and Asiatic Allah all contributing to the scoreboard. Unfortunately, Alex was unable to play due to a tear in the abductor fibers, and the team missed his presence on the court.

Despite missing one of their key players, the Mustangs managed to take a commanding lead by the end of the first half, with a score of 40-22. During the halftime break, Juan Pablo (JP) hit some nice three-pointers, and Sanfa wowed the crowd with a thunderous dunk.

The second half started with a big three-pointer from Stevkovski, which put the Mustangs further ahead. Cushing tried to mount a comeback, but the Mustangs’ defense held firm, with JP making a nice block to prevent a Cushing player from scoring. JP then added to the scoreline with a three-pointer of his own. 

As the game entered its final stages, the Mustangs looked like they had done enough to secure the win. However, in the dying seconds of the game, Laurion produced a moment of magic, hitting a buzzer-beating three-pointer from half-court to seal the victory for the Mustangs. The crowd erupted in celebration, with the players all mobbing Laurion in delight.

In interviews after the game, the Mustangs players expressed their admiration for Laurion’s clutch shot. “That shot was amazing,” said Javier. “We all knew X had it in him, but to see him hit it in such a crucial moment was incredible.” JP added, “It just shows the kind of talent we have on this team. We all believe in each other, and we know that anyone can step up and make a big play when we need it.”

Miquel, who had a standout game, also spoke to the media after the match. “We played really well as a team today,” he said. “Our defense was solid, and we got a lot of rebounds, which allowed us to control the game. It’s great to see everyone stepping up and contributing in different ways.”

With this victory, the Mustangs continue their impressive season and will continue with their impressive performances in their upcoming playoffs. The team will miss Alex’s presence on the court for the next few weeks, but the players are confident that they can continue to perform at a high level and make their fans proud.