Snack Time, Yum!

Evan Murdock, Staff Writer

Snack time is all the buzz this year. Every morning after second block and during extra help, a light snack is provided to students passing through the halls to their next class. There are two designated snack areas. The Middle School location is in the Middle School locker room, and the Upper School location in the administrative wing of the school, next to the office of Business Manager Carole Bielizna.

How did snack time come about? Head of School Steve Griffin says that it was brought about through the anonymous survey given every year to students. A student wrote that he requested snacks three years in a row in the comments section of the survey. “Because we’ve added a late lunch block, the time was right to add a snack,” says Griffin. “I also want to thank the anonymous student who demanded a snack for three straight years via the student survey.  Their perseverance has paid off!” Some students are not able to eat until 6th block of the day, a long time for many who may not have eaten since breakfast. Although there were concerns over what kind of a mess would be made, it has gone well so far.

Sage Dining provides the snacks and sets up the stands. They are open to suggestions for snacks and will consider them. Any suggestion should be directed to Bielizna or Griffin. As for student reception, it has been positive so far, but some feel there is room for improvement. Senior Brad Calipari, for example, wishes there was more variety in the snacks. “I wish that they had more breakfast specific snacks in the morning,” he says. However, it seems that so far, snack time has been a success.